“In the context of global changes, digitization is becoming a key priority for global energy companies. According to the research conducted by the World Economic Forum, the economic effect of digitization will reach USD 1.3 trillion by 2025. DTEK is the first Ukrainian energy company to introduce systematic business digitization. The long-term program provides for the projects in the fields of big data, machine learning, the Industrial Internet of Things, virtual reality, and unmanned aerial vehicles. We are also already building facilities to produce a GW of “green” energy, introducing smart technologies in distribution, expanding the chain of e-vehicle charging stations, and carrying out energy‑efficient projects. All this will help to make Ukraine’s energy sector more reliable, reduce the cost of energy resources, and ensure a high level of service for our customers,” commented DTEK CEO Maxim Timchenko.
DTEK has created the Digital Transformation Center, a special division to implement its digital projects. The company intends to employ 70 IT and digital specialists in 2019. The Center will be based in the new campus of the Unit City innovation park.
In the next 3 years, DTEK’s digital transformation program will focus on 9 key directions: Digital Mine, Digital TPP, Digital Grids, Digital Deposits, Digital Logistics, Digital Analytics, Digital Purchases, Digital HR, and Digital Office.
In 2019, DTEK will launch 23 projects in these areas, including:
- Digitization of walkdowns and repair of mining machinery, TPP and grids assemblies. The traditional accounting approaches will be replaced by automated systems controlled by mining employees through tablets and special applications.
- Railway rolling stock distribution optimization model will allow to improve the efficiency of transportation management and reduce losses due to idle time.
- Evaluation of optimum fuel consumption for TPP. A special system will determine the most efficient running mode for electrical power units in real time.
- Digital diagnostics of electric transmission lines with the help of unmanned aerial vehicles, laser scanning technologies and 3D modeling will increase the speed of repairs and identifying potential emergency areas by preventing line breaks.
- Employee leave prediction model – an HR tool to help the company retain highly qualified employees and fill open vacancies.